A Proposal: Alliance with the Unicorn

Casual conversations about anything you want!
Asahina Shimato
Chui
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Re: A Proposal: Alliance with the Unicorn

Postby Asahina Shimato » Thu Apr 30, 2015 2:51 am

I've just read the thread. One thing that struck me is that one Unicorn player asked what the Crane had to offer in a post-Kanpeki Empire.

I really hope our friend Hand reads this, because it goes to show the other clans' perception: The Crane wouldn't contribute anything. That is the result of years of painting us as ineffectual, regardlessof CCG performance I should add. Story Team needs to fix this.

Martino
Taisa
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Postby Martino » Thu Apr 30, 2015 4:07 am

Kakita Kasukaru
Taisa

Postby Kakita Kasukaru » Thu Apr 30, 2015 5:24 am

I think we could and should offer at the very least two things (and that's not excluding anything particularly): a mindset change and logistics.

* Mindset change: Unicorns are worried, for good reason, that we are uptight, don't care about the lower classes and that we have no compassion (a bit like the Lions). It is clear from their answer that they expect our answer to show compassion. I think we have the perfect ability, here and now to make a change for ourselves for the better and to push the Rokugani culture towards more respect for non-samurai. We can propose that, in exchange for an alliance, our Clan will pass laws, valid for our own lands, but extensible to the rest of the Empire should our Alliance win, to improve the condition of heimins and other lower classes. For instance (just as an example), we could propose that one man/woman in each village is names as mediator by the village headman to communicate problems and worries of the lower classes to their lords, so as to avoid misunderstandings, oppression or undue burdens. These rules, since we are the trend-setters and policy makers in Rokugan, could be extended to the whole country after the crisis is resolved.

* Logisitics: this has been discussed already, but it is likely that we will have surplus. On the other hand, according to their Paths description, the Unicorn will be overstretched to the extreme and will suffer for it in terms of men, resources, fatigue, and so on. We should propose that our surplus will serve to support the protection operations of the Unicorn officially (for instance instructing Daidoji merchants to give preferential tariffs to the Unicorn all over the Rokugani territory, at no profit, and in extreme cases even for free to ensure the survival of their protection teams). We should also instruct our magistrates to intervene to defend their activities all over Rokugan, should they run into trouble with other authorities. Last but not least, wherever possible, we should instruct our fleet, merchant and navy, to support their operations wherever possible (rivers and coasts), including in the Colonies.

* Other possibilities: I mentioned the info on the Yobanjin Mountain tribes, which we could volunteer to help in their external path, should they chose it. I believe that the Sparrow are offering their support to the Unicorn in the same thread. Since we have (supposedly) good ties with the Sparrow, I think we should encourage this. Otherwise, we can use our recent Mantis connections to ask them to help there. I understand they are not interested in marriage for their leader, but they might be interested in brides and grooms for other people. I know we have Air shugenja (some would say some of the best). Maybe we can offer some help for long distance communication of messages? I know it's more of a Phoenix/Mantis thing, but maybe we can work on replicating some of that?

Maybe we could have a vote on some ideas presented in this thread so that we decide a bit more officially what we can offer the Unicorn?
Kakita Kasukaru
RPG mostly / French * Greece

Shinjo Kinou
Hohei

Postby Shinjo Kinou » Thu Apr 30, 2015 6:21 am

I'm just going to pop my head in here real fast and give you a quick snap-shot of the current Unicorn mindset. This might help as you discuss your own details.

1. We are not interested in a marriage with/to Naleesh. There are reasons, but this is intended to be a short post, so I won't go into further detail.
2. We are going to protect the common folk no matter which option we go with. That's part of the deal.
3. Of all of the clans to ally with (if we choose that option), Crane is in the forefront of our options - yes, even over the Spider.
4. Understandably, our choice for an alliance would hinge greatly on the choices and path chosen by the various clans. In this I agree with you 100% that additional ST insight would be very helpful.
5. What ANY clan could bring to the table post-Onyx/Kanpeki is up in the air right now, so let's not make any assumptions about any clan's worth in the darkness.
6. I am putting together a proposal for the Unicorn minds to work on which should go more in line with what both the Unicorn and Crane clans want, so your delegates can watch for that post in the near future.

Thank you for your time,
Shinjo Kinou

Suzume Suzaku
Hohei

Postby Suzume Suzaku » Thu Apr 30, 2015 10:19 am

Kakita Ijiwaru
Taisa

Postby Kakita Ijiwaru » Thu Apr 30, 2015 10:27 am

A coalition between the three would be fantastic.

Martino
Taisa

Postby Martino » Thu Apr 30, 2015 11:45 am

I think the Kinou's list shows a lot of promise, every point he makes is good. I still think it would be good if a marriage between carded characters were some part of it, nothing guarantees respects for the agreement like blood. Perhaps the Unicorn would be willing to suggest some possible candidates?

Kakita Ijiwaru
Taisa

Postby Kakita Ijiwaru » Thu Apr 30, 2015 4:56 pm

Ide Mutsuken and Doji Soeka

Doji Satevis
Chui

Postby Doji Satevis » Thu Apr 30, 2015 5:18 pm

Mmn, I think it would be better not to press on marriage options at all for the time being.

If the Unicorn have an interest in such a thing elsewhere, let them suggest it; to continue to throw out options would make us look pushy and simply moving down the line (so to speak) of Unicorn personalities. "Not them? How about them? Or them?" Not terribly polite, or flattering.

Daidoji Tacticus
Daimyo

Postby Daidoji Tacticus » Thu Apr 30, 2015 5:23 pm

Ceterum autem censeo Otomines esse delendam.

Player of Asahina Umeko at Winter Court IV

Return to “General Discussion”