A Proposal: Alliance with the Unicorn

Casual conversations about anything you want!
Daidoji Tacticus
Daimyo

Re: A Proposal: Alliance with the Unicorn

Postby Daidoji Tacticus » Wed Apr 29, 2015 8:48 am

Doji Makoto wrote:Question arised on Unicorn forum...
What exactly do WE want from Unicorns?

I would say that the military might of the Unicorn should be prepared to protect us. Not as our "subordinates", but with priorities towards Crane. Protecting ALL of the peasants is noble goal, but they won't save everyone and if we will be in alliance, Crane should be saved before Lion etc...

Well, I gave my perspective over there, which is: it would be unfair to ask that the Unicorn act solely to protect the Crane, or prioritise it too heavily. That would defeat the point of their mission to protect peasants in the first place. But on the other hand, there does have to be some priority placed on protecting Crane stuff, otherwise we will soon be unable to help them at all. So there would have to be a balancing act involved... which could make for interesting story fodder, so it's not all bad.
Ceterum autem censeo Otomines esse delendam.

Player of Asahina Umeko at Winter Court IV

Doji Makoto
Taisa

Postby Doji Makoto » Wed Apr 29, 2015 8:52 am

Some degree of priority is needed. That's the point of the alliance. But I understand that it can't be too much Crane-centered.
Surely a good material for story ;-) .

EDIT: But I can't imagine how the "balancing" will look like. "Save 10 Cranes for 1 Lion"? :D
"I am sure this will be a most interesting year."

Doji Satevis
Chui

Postby Doji Satevis » Wed Apr 29, 2015 9:19 am

Kakita Shiro wrote:Because we control so much territory in the Empire, it stands to reason we have more peasants to protect.

And that without them, the Empire will fold.
"It does not matter if it takes me so long as they survive"

Martino
Taisa

Postby Martino » Wed Apr 29, 2015 9:32 am

The peasantry is also a key part of the Empire's infrastructure, which should concern us as the ORIGINAL clan of wealth and commerce.

Daidoji Tacticus
Daimyo

Postby Daidoji Tacticus » Wed Apr 29, 2015 9:34 am

Yeah. And Crane mythology does feature our leaders engaging in individual acts of fairly radical boundary-crossing, sitting down to talk with hinin beggars and such. We just don't go out of our way to practice it systemically.

Perhaps it's time we changed that?

Doji Makoto
Taisa

Postby Doji Makoto » Wed Apr 29, 2015 9:39 am

Everyone toss a koku to the nearest beggar! It's generosity time! :)

In one fiction, Doji Makoto was playing with ordinary children openly in public. That was a good story (he one-cutted some merchant... I am afraid that he was Unicorn :D )

Doji Satevis
Chui

Postby Doji Satevis » Wed Apr 29, 2015 9:48 am

Daidoji Tacticus wrote:Yeah. And Crane mythology does feature our leaders engaging in individual acts of fairly radical boundary-crossing, sitting down to talk with hinin beggars and such. We just don't go out of our way to practice it systemically.

I think so, yes. Not just because of survival, but because protection is something samurai should be doing -- and it, again, comes back to the idea of rebuilding and evolving, for me.
"It does not matter if it takes me so long as they survive"

Doji Makoto
Taisa

Postby Doji Makoto » Wed Apr 29, 2015 9:49 am

Tradition (should do) and Progress (will do) combined. Sounds right.

Daidoji Tacticus
Daimyo

Postby Daidoji Tacticus » Wed Apr 29, 2015 9:54 am

Doji Satevis wrote:
Daidoji Tacticus wrote:Yeah. And Crane mythology does feature our leaders engaging in individual acts of fairly radical boundary-crossing, sitting down to talk with hinin beggars and such. We just don't go out of our way to practice it systemically.

I think so, yes. Not just because of survival, but because protection is something samurai should be doing -- and it, again, comes back to the idea of rebuilding and evolving, for me.

One of the elements I particularly like of inviting the Unicorn to (hopefully) help us shape the culture of a post-Onyx Rokugan is that it would allow for things like this. It will inevitably give more prominence to the values the Unicorn esteem, particularly the ones we just spent however long fighting to uphold, and some of those values could stand to be a lot more practised, I think.

Dare
Daimyo

Postby Dare » Wed Apr 29, 2015 10:31 pm

Daidoji Tacticus wrote:If you'd read any of those six pages, you would know that that post has been made, discussion is underway, and they are potentially interested.

Well then.

Return to “General Discussion”