The Left Hand's Path - Crane Story Paths

Casual conversations about anything you want!

Which of the will receive your vote?

Path 1 - To Do What We Must
38%
Path 2 - The Left Hand of the Emperor
17%
Path 3a - Salvation in the Colonies
6%
Path 3b - Salvation in Rokugan
38%

Total votes: 65

Asahina Ro-Kuma
Nikutai
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Re: The Left Hand's Path - Crane Story Paths

Postby Asahina Ro-Kuma » Sun May 10, 2015 1:43 pm

I think that Daidoji Maseru is right. The only option of the 3 given to really preserve the Crane culture is option 1. However, as an Asahina pacifist it's an option I cannot support. If a better, more peaceful, 4th option doesn't present itself I'll have to go with option 3 personally. But i think everyone else should vote for option 1.

However, I think that the idea of aiding the Unicorn in saving the peasants is a good idea. We can use our money and resources to help feed and shelter the people while the Unicorn use their military prowess to defend them. This also opens up a huge use for the Air Shugenja. We can help protect the people with our air spells and house them in our temples. It's honorable, it's peaceful, it's siding with Rokugan without running away or pretending to be the Lion Clan. Maybe our art and culture suffers immediately but we will be helping to preserve the land and it's people in a way that makes sense for Crane.
Crane Clan • Wu-Tang Clan • Air • Artisan • Courtier • Shugenja

3-2 Montclair Kotei Spring 2015
3-2 Orem Kotei Spring 2015, Second Chance Winner

AEG_Ukyo
Hohei
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Postby AEG_Ukyo » Sun May 10, 2015 1:45 pm

Legend of the Five Rings Brand Lead * Alderac Entertainment Group

Doji Pheelyp
Taisa

Postby Doji Pheelyp » Sun May 10, 2015 2:05 pm

Indeed, that does make things more complex. Perhaps having a deadline by which this "significant" support has to be expressed by both clans would help things. In any case, I look forward to the two-part article you would be posting. :)
Courtier * Doji Innocent * Loyal

Kakita Moritoki
Hohei

Postby Kakita Moritoki » Sun May 10, 2015 2:15 pm

Hmm... I actually really like the choices presented, but after reading discussions here and in the FB group, I'm wondering the possibility of including honor in option one, perhaps not entirely focused on military by throwing in strong honor currents?

I'm wondering, since this is Onyx edition we're talking about, to what extent are our cards influenced by Twenty Festivals? It seems to me that magistrates and dishonor are the theme they're bringing forth for Crane, so how would that play into the choices for decks constructed in extended?

Martino
Taisa

Postby Martino » Sun May 10, 2015 2:44 pm

I like Option 1. I think if we choose it, the next stage in the path votes will be for either dueling or scouts, and I have no doubt the clan would overwhelmingly go dueling.

I have two reasons why we shouldn't try too hard to focus on honor, one mechanical and one thematic:

Mechanically, defensive dueling has been weak and I think we all agree that it goes beyond simply printing underpowered defensive dueling cards. The fundamental state of the environment makes an attrition-based honor deck non-viable, and we have no reason to think that would change.

From a thematic standpoint, things are about to get BAD. We need to be ready to fight. I think we're about to see an apocalypse close to the scope of the KYD setting. If you recall, our courtiers didn't fare well there...

Daidoji Maseru
Nikutai

Postby Daidoji Maseru » Sun May 10, 2015 2:58 pm

Case Lopez / Daidoji Maseru
Collector of Ujis
To Do What We Must

Kakita Ijiwaru
Taisa

Postby Kakita Ijiwaru » Sun May 10, 2015 3:29 pm

The way you describe it Maseru, option 1 sounds great. Go Kenshinzen!

I still feel that option 3 would be the most interesting in terms of story.

Doji Ataka
Nikutai

Postby Doji Ataka » Sun May 10, 2015 3:42 pm

My heart screams that we are to preserve all that is good and right about Rokugan, even at the cost of supporting a corrupt Spider... I wish that it was possible for us to struggle heroically in the courts to unite Rokugan against the Usurper.

But the way of the samurai is death. Our brothers the Daidoji know this with their military excellence. Our brothers the Kakita know that in the unerring iaijutsu strikes of their blades. Even the Doji, through the Crane Thunder, Doji Hoturi, knew this on the Second Day of Thunder. All we have is our honor, and honor states that we should never bow to the usurper.

So in order of preference

"Own path": Work to strengthen alliances between the clans against the Spider
"Military"
"Colonies"
"Empire's Left Hand"

Doji Satevis
Chui

Postby Doji Satevis » Sun May 10, 2015 3:47 pm

Hmn.

To Do What We Must -- No. A thousand times, no. This choice throws away all that makes us Crane, and for nothing but to attempt to make us a second-rate Lion/Scorpion military hybrid. "Your Clan will lose much in blood and resources" -- has this not already happened, ever since the Clan War this choice attempts to evoke? I myself broke down the timeline and displayed the downward spiral here on the forum. There will be no "time to rebuild" when there is no base to build from, and this choice leaves nothing to build with save for the theme of one small and -- yes -- divergent fraction of the Clan. No, I say.

The Left Hand of the Emperor -- This choice reads, to me, like a baited trap. It mentions the Crane mother of the Emperor to appeal to times gone by, but Kanpeki is already married and his child yet unborn. It speaks of the Crane being able to maintain justice and honour, but how precisely is that to be believe, if the Crane serve as the left hand of darkness? More to the point, what is political influence under a regime that will inevitably crumble under the weight of the rest of the Empire? The Crane would be left with nothing, and branded with a deserved stain as traitors in the hand of Jigoku as well.

Salvation -- Why, it is almost, almost, my initial theorizing and further suggestion of a Unicorn alliance to save the people and culture of the Empire. Almost, save that this choice paints our Champion as even more of a fool than I have often thought. The Colonies? Why yes, send those we wish to save straight into the lands of those who will be conquering Rokugan. That surely cannot possibly go badly, not at all. But -- it does demonstrate that AEG is willing to consider a path of that broadly general sort.

At the moment my proposal remains largely the same, with a second iteration should it come to that:

1) Pursue the Unicorn alliance. Save the peasantry, artisans, culture and artworks of both Clans -- from all Clans, if we can -- using Crane influence and tangible resources and Unicorn man- and horsepower. The Asahina have defensive and healing magics; use them, and use them broadly and fairly. Further I would suggest ignoring the notion of funnelling to the Colonies (madness!) and suggest defensive bulwarks in Crane lands, where the Daidoji know the terrain to best advantage and where croplands to support the influx of people may be preserved. That said, twin bulwarks in both Clan territories would work even better; I am unfamiliar with the Unicorn territories, and unwilling to speculate on their behalf without that knowledge. Further notions on Crane involvement here; well, see below and add portions as desired.

2) Should alliance fail, we should do that very same thing to the best of our ability -- alone. Gather the arts, the literature, all the creations of the Empire. Call the people of Rokugan in; shelter, support them. Be prepared to call in every favour, every alliance; declare the lands of the Crane a neutal ground, where those of other Clans, even Spider who reject Kanpeki's madness, may find shelter and look for allies with the aid of the Doji. Send our duelists and magistrates as roving protectors, set the Daidoji to peppering our borders with ambushes for those who act with hostile intent, the Asahina to soothe.

And if the Crane were to fall under the onslaught of so much? We would fall as Crane, honourable, alliance-forming, guardians of the culture we created and the people we have guided for so long.

Daidoji Maseru
Nikutai

Postby Daidoji Maseru » Sun May 10, 2015 4:13 pm

Just to remind people... the seals that separate the realm of men with Jigoku will be broken and the two realms will merge into one. Jigoku is a nightmare realm and it, as a whole, is coming to Rokugan. There will not be an easy hiding behind borders, and to be honest, I am not sure how magic will respond to the change (since all magic in Rokugan is reliant on a communication with spirits and they may be a bit different from this). Option one does not 'throw away what it means to be Crane', no where in it does it mention things like Harriers, Ninjas or other unsavory tricks (unlike the other two options, btw). Option one is standing to protect that which we hold dear, doing the Crane's duty in fighting to help protect the culture of Rokugan in the face of a true nightmare. It takes our honor and shows the other clans that it actually means something rather than hiding behind the robes of the emperor (or for that matter another clan that could have its own agenda).

Above all "Honor is our strength".

Once again in terms of themes for the CCG, I see this more as a switch option, not pure military.
Case Lopez / Daidoji Maseru
Collector of Ujis
To Do What We Must

Return to “General Discussion”