The Left Hand's Path - Crane Story Paths

Casual conversations about anything you want!

Which of the will receive your vote?

Path 1 - To Do What We Must
38%
Path 2 - The Left Hand of the Emperor
17%
Path 3a - Salvation in the Colonies
6%
Path 3b - Salvation in Rokugan
38%

Total votes: 65

Doji Pheelyp
Taisa
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Re: The Left Hand's Path - Crane Story Paths

Postby Doji Pheelyp » Thu Apr 28, 2016 4:54 am

*tries valiantly to breathe calmly*
Courtier * Doji Innocent * Loyal

MirumotoDaisuke
Shireikan
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Postby MirumotoDaisuke » Tue May 10, 2016 8:05 pm

HEAVY BREATHING
Dragon Clan • Artisan • Friend to the Crane • Samurai • Conqueror • Duelist • Kensai

Doji Pheelyp
Taisa

Postby Doji Pheelyp » Wed May 11, 2016 4:34 pm

Fred Wan was generous enough in the Facebook L5R group to offer insights into some of the dilemmas the Crane could have faced in a Kanpeki Empire. :bow:

Fred: If there are particular questions about "what can I do with a particular clan?" or "do you think this makes sense given the rest of the setting" or "how do I *make* something I want to do make sense"? I'm happy to try and jump in.

I don't have infinite time to do so, but I will try!

Pheelyp: *bows deeply* What possibilities are there for the Crane, sama?

Fred: Well, for a start, there's 1000 years of history, of culture, of art, of things that once lost will be lost *forever*.

How many lives will you trade to preserve and protect these things? How important is the recipe for a particular brew of sake? Is it more important than the river that the recipe calls for? 10 bushi? The blade of Kakita Toshimoko?

Is the duty of the last living sensei of the (making up a name here) Wind's Whisper style to protect the Empire and fight against the Spider? Is it to train the next generation of line soldiers how to carry a blade, to fight and die for a brighter tomorrow? Or is it to hide, to sequester herself, and to seek out one truly gifted student, who will be able to absorb the full subtleties of the style so it will not only be retained, but *taught* to a new generation?

Other example: a painter has been imprisoned by the Spider. They are going to break his fingers unless X. You can try to rescue the painter, or you can do X. A rescue attempt means a certain number of Crane samurai *will die* even if you succeed. Samurai aren't infinite, and those same Crane samurai can do other things for the Empire, serve in other ways. *How much does this matter to you*?

Much less grand, but similar question: after a long campaign, troops under your command are slouching, and their sword techniques are "good enough" rather than crisp. On the one hand, they are tired, it has been a long fight. On the other, a (Crane) samurai strive to live their art, to elevate the things they do to higher than mere utlity. Does the commander discipline the mixed-clan group that (s)he is leading?

Pheelyp: Thank you for these! What thoughts for the Crane in a court setting (assuming one can even be held during the darkness)?

Fred: The Crane stand for the culture and society of the Empire. So what happens when the definition of "society of the Empire" is challenged? Do you speak out, loudly, against the Empire as it is, knowing that your voice will be silenced in short order for open defiance? Or do you run the Empire the way the Crane normally do, slipping in what you can do to what good you are able, without provoking the wrath of the Emperor?

Lady Doji herself "defied" Hantei... by persuading him that what he wanted was not really what he wanted (he ordered her to marry Kakita, she persuaded him that what he really wanted was for Kakita to have to answer her riddles *first*). The Crane could try to do the same even if the Emperor was malign. It would not be the first time in the Empire's history that an Emperor would not necessarily be the most fit person for the job.

How can you protect and preserve the culture of the Empire if you hvae excluded yourself from the courts? On the other hand, how can you saw you are upholding the culture of the Empire if you are serving under one of the true Empire's enemies? Are you lending this pretender government legitimacy merely by being involved? Or is it hubris and pride to think your voice of dissent is more important than the concrete things you can do from a position of relative power?

Pheelyp: @_@ This has me thinking so much.

One sticking point I am having trouble resolving - how can the Crane operate in court within an Empire that values Shourido? When the game becomes one of ruthlessness and brute strength, what place remains for the delicate Crane (especially if the nastier Scorpion are present as well)?

Fred: If society is still functioning, things still need to get done. And the Crane know how to get stuff done.

Also, the Crane both represent and *reflect* the Empire's culture. If the social norms of the Empire change, the Crane would be part of that change--and arguably to some extent directing that change.

As a real life parallel, take the role of media (not just the news media, but media generally) in both reflecting AND impacting society. If there was a radical shift in societal values (both in Rokugan or in real life), the Crane/media messaging would change--but there would still be a role for both.

Also, the Crane are perfectly capable of being ruthless. Go back and reread "The Flowers, the Snow" for an example of that. Or for that matter, it was conscious that it was Daidoji Hachi himself who recommended the termination of the Harriers--he made the call that they were a net negative for the Crane at that moment in time, so they had to go.

Pheelyp: *rereads*

That story is one of my favorites. heart emoticon And the termination of Cherry Blossom Snow made me genuinely sad.

There is much good then in collaborating with Kanpeki! Though the real Emperor and his Great Clans may not approve.
Courtier * Doji Innocent * Loyal

Return to “General Discussion”