Another Way - Proposals for Alternate Story Paths

Casual conversations about anything you want!

Choose your path!

Poll ended at Thu May 28, 2015 2:05 pm

Alliance With The Unicorn/Safehold
No votes
Endure the Occupation
6%
The Path of Compassion
3%
Walking The Earth
No votes
Guard The Way
No votes
We Can Rebuild
No votes
The Path of Creation
6%
Blossoms In The Wind
No votes
Honorable Hostages
6%
The Left Hand's Duty
79%

Total votes: 33

Kakita Ijiwaru
Taisa

Re: Another Way - Proposals for Alternate Story Paths

Postby Kakita Ijiwaru » Tue May 12, 2015 8:37 am

Good, the flood of unrealistic and self centered paths makes me want to wash my hands of it and simply pick an offered option.

Kakita Mitsuhide
Gunso

Postby Kakita Mitsuhide » Tue May 12, 2015 8:41 am

Kakita Ijiwaru wrote:Good, the flood of unrealistic and self centered paths makes me want to wash my hands of it and simply pick an offered option.

Pick Option 2: Run the Empire :P

Asahina Genichi
Hohei

Postby Asahina Genichi » Tue May 12, 2015 11:28 am

If I had to choose only one, I'd choose #3. But if I could alter it, I would go with:

Honorable Hostages (a little bit of #2 and #3)

"Samurai have no reason to be cruel. They do not need to prove their strength. A Samurai is courteous even to his enemies. Without this outward show of respect, we are nothing more then animals. A Samurai is not only respected for his strength in battle, but also by his dealings with other men. The true inner strength of a Samurai becomes apparent during difficult times." -- Akodo's Leadership, on the virtue of Rei (Courtesy).

The first Hantei asked Lady Doji to build an empire of culture and grace, modeled after the experiences they'd shared in the Celestial Heavens. The clan she founded embraced has embraced that duty since the founding. During times of strife and troubles, Lady Doji's children have always worked to maintain Hantei's empire in the face of destruction and doubt, even as they dealt with their own horrors. Many Crane died during the reign of the Steel Chrysanthemum, many Crane died during the Clan Coup and when the Crab turned their backs on the empire and embraced the darkness.

So when a pretender takes the throne, what do the children of Doji do? They do what they have always done: maintain the empire's culture, its rules, its face even while opposing the darkness. Lady Doji gave her children a task—create and guard the culture of the empire—and they will continue that task regardless of who is in charge. Make no mistake: the children of Doji oppose the darkness and all it stands for, and will make that opposition known. They will do it through subversion: subtle but nuanced expressions of condemnation created by the Kakita and backed by Kakita steel and Doji words; movement (and removal) of important artifacts to safe places (even to the colonies) through Daidoji commerce and scouts; blessed gifts of encouragement and words of wisdom created by Asahina priests and sohei.

Some may spurn our gifts; call us traitors and sellouts. We know better, and our way will prove true in the end.

This is a call for the Political and gift-giving aspects with a definitive mercantile flavor.
Crane Clan * Shugenja * Monk * Duelist * Tactician * Sohei

Repeatable Interrupt: After a card is targeted, bow a spell to raise or lower the target's force by the spell's gold cost.

"The Daidoji are not the only defenders of the Doji."

Daidoji Tacticus
Daimyo

Postby Daidoji Tacticus » Wed May 13, 2015 5:25 am

After talking with Doji Makoto, Kakita Kasaukaru and Tobikawa of the Unicorn, and taking inspiration from the posts of (among others) Doji Satevis, Martino and Daidoji Reiji of the Crane, and Nomad Chronicler nee Moto Khedai, Shinjo Dae-Hyun, and Moto Naranbaatar of the Unicorn, I have endeavoured to draw up a fourth option blending as many as possible of the aspects we seem to agree are important, along with real and plausible drawbacks. I welcome any suggestions on how this path might be improved (while sticking the central aim, of course - if you disagree with that, you'll need another path).

The Left Hand’s Duty:

For twelve centuries, the Crane have tended to the fabric of the Empire, the subtle web of tradition, culture, etiquette and diplomatic ties that keep it functioning as a united entity rather than splintering into a hundred warring barbarian fiefdoms. It is a sacred trust handed down from the days of Hantei and Doji, every generation maintaining and building on the work of those before. As the Blackest Storm breaks over the Empire, the Left Hand must keep the Empire from splintering into infighting – and must ensure that enough of Rokugan's heritage survives to be rebuilt once the darkness is past, or the Jade Sun shall illuminate only a hollow victory and a desolate waste.

On this path, the Left Hand shall commit its political, economic and military might to saving the foundations of the Emerald Empire’s identity: its art, its laws, but above all, its people, the carriers of all skill, history and tradition.

• The armies of the Crane shall muster to defend their lands as they have done so often before, while dispatching elite units of Daidoji scouts and Kakita duelists on key missions to strike at the forces of Jigoku, defend areas of cultural and political import, and guard Crane emissaries and magistrates as they strive to maintain order and unity.
  • Should those fleeing the onslaught of Jigoku seek refuge in Crane lands, they will find sanctuary there. The pacifism of the Asahina traditionally keeps them from the front lines of any conflict, but their warding and healing prayers will be invaluable in carrying for these refugees – and their dedication to Compassion will encompass even those fleeing Clans fallen under Jigoku’s sway, so long as they reject the corruption of their fellows.
  • Crane courtiers will move among the Clans standing against the False Emperor, calling upon centuries of accumulated favours and all of their rhetorical skill to win their co-operation and promote unity. They will secure passage for Crane and allied forces, funnel Crane resources to where they are most needed, and mediate disputes that might impede the war effort.

This path will not be easy or without costs and pitfalls. The toll on the Crane expeditionary forces will be heavy, and the armies of the Crane will bleed to defend the Clan’s territory. Supplying refugees and the forces of other Clans will tax even the bountiful resources of the Crane, and winning support for this effort will gravely deplete the Clan’s political capital. Sheltering the future of Rokugan in the Crane lands will make those lands tempting targets for attack, threatening greater losses. And there will inevitably be those who regard this response to the onslaught of Jigoku as effete, manipulative, and even cowardly.

In the CCG, this path will favour Honour decks with defensive and military elements, with an emphasis on Honour gain through exemplifying virtue and gathering allies rather than appealing to corrupted higher authorities.

Bonus Component - the Alliance of the Sisters:

From before the Dawn of the Empire, Doji and Shinjo shared a special bond, a bond reaffirmed by Crane support for the recognition of Shinjo’s Clan on their return from centuries of wandering. Despite tension and misunderstanding, the friendship between the two Clans has endured, and over the past year the two Clans worked closely together to peacefully settle the dispute over the Imperial succession. As evil portents multiply, the Crane shall send envoys to the Unicorn to propose further co-operation against the gathering darkness.

Should the Unicorn accept, either by choosing an initial path of alliance or through a subsequent choice of how to respond, then the Crane and the Unicorn shall join forces to defend the foundations of the Empire, offering mutual support in military, logistical and political matters. Each Clan’s forces will find safe haven and supplies freely available in the territory of the other, greatly widening their areas of operations. Unicorn military support will strengthen Crane expeditionary forces, allowing them to undertake more ambitious operations in defence of the Empire’s culture and people. Meanwhile, Crane political support will ease political obstacles that the Unicorn may face in pursuing their own path. The closeness of Crane and Unicorn forces in their common struggle may build new ties of lasting respect, enduring long after the present conflict is done.

If this alliance is accepted, it may be reflected in the CCG by Crane and Unicorn personalities that cost less for the other Clan, or may be Proclaimed by the other Clan, or both; by Fate cards with lower costs or additional effects for Crane or Unicorn players, or for having Personalities of both Clans in play; or by other means reflecting the co-operation of the two Clans.

There will be difficulties, of course. Supplying an ally’s forces as well as one’s own is a further burden on one’s resources. The closeness of the two Clans will inevitably lead to each being blamed for the failures and missteps of the other – and some may even accuse the two of plotting together to seize power for themselves. And as closely as the two Clans may work together, their priorities will never be quite the same, causing inevitable friction when those priorities come into conflict.

-

I think this addresses a lot of the concerns I have seen from both myself and others regarding the options we were presented with. We oppose Kenpeki in a way that plays to our strengths rather than trying to be ersatz Lion. We have Honour decks, with a flavour appropriate to what we're doing. We see Crane duelists being feared badasses again. We're doing something that makes us an active presence in the story, as opposed to running away.

Thoughts? Comments? Suggestions?
Ceterum autem censeo Otomines esse delendam.

Player of Asahina Umeko at Winter Court IV

Doji Hoturi
Nikutai

Postby Doji Hoturi » Wed May 13, 2015 5:36 am

Daidoji Tacticus wrote:All of that

This is it! This is what I was trying to create by myself to present, but Tacticus and all the others were able to make it more consistent than what I was thinking about.

If there is gonna be a fourth path that lets us keep our Honorable ways in the RPG and lets us focus on defensive honor on the CCG, this is the one I want.

H

Doji Makoto
Taisa

Postby Doji Makoto » Wed May 13, 2015 5:49 am

Important thing is, that we really wanted to incorporate the ideas from other proposed paths and create something that's consistent and catches the spirit of the Crane. Also there is the part with the Unicorn, because we should really aim for the alliance. ;-)
"I am sure this will be a most interesting year."

Daidoji Reiji
Chui

Postby Daidoji Reiji » Wed May 13, 2015 6:01 am

Tacticus's 4th option is something I would vote for above Path 1
Crane Clan · Samurai · Yojimbo · Tactician

I was Ikoma Shinju at WC3, Daidoji Reiji at WC4
Top 8, Richmond VA Kotei 2015
Top 8, Charlotte NC Kotei 2015

Martino
Taisa

Postby Martino » Wed May 13, 2015 6:46 am

My issue with most of the alternative paths is that they don't have any downsides. One of the central points of the path system is that whatever we choose will have a cost, because every clan is going to suffer tremendous loss in Onyx Edition. I find the theme of terrible loss to be very compelling, and I wouldn't waste my pick on anything that tried to cheat past it.

Doji Satevis
Chui

Postby Doji Satevis » Wed May 13, 2015 7:30 am

Daidoji Tacticus wrote: <snip awesome>

I think this is ideal -- congratulations and thanks to you and to all those you worked with, for bringing it all together.

Martino wrote:My issue with most of the alternative paths is that they don't have any downsides. One of the central points of the path system is that whatever we choose will have a cost, because every clan is going to suffer tremendous loss in Onyx Edition. I find the theme of terrible loss to be very compelling, and I wouldn't waste my pick on anything that tried to cheat past it.

Tacticus' post does give downsides, good ones; at that, with the potential loss of manpower, resources, political capital and reputation, it carries the chance to strike the Crane from all sides for their decisions.

But it would be worth it.
"It does not matter if it takes me so long as they survive"

Daidoji Tacticus
Daimyo

Postby Daidoji Tacticus » Wed May 13, 2015 7:34 am

And now... the time has come to address the inevitable criticisms that it lacks sufficiently-major downsides (hi, Martino! Hi, AEG boards!). And probably work on a future draft with clearer language, because my intent in that regard does not seem to have come across. But thank you for the kind words, everyone :)
Ceterum autem censeo Otomines esse delendam.

Player of Asahina Umeko at Winter Court IV

Return to “General Discussion”