April 19 Announcement: Mechanics and Design

Casual conversations about anything you want!
KakitaKaori
Shireikan

April 19 Announcement: Mechanics and Design

Postby KakitaKaori » Wed Apr 19, 2017 7:46 am

Just to separate things out a bit:

What are your thoughts on the Card Mechanics described?

So, So many tokens!
Characters are only there as long as their fate allows!
Two Decks!
Three Victory Conditions!
Rings!

What do you say?
Kakita Kaori
Kenshinzen of Golden Petal Village and overly prolific fiction writer
http://craneclan.weebly.com/
[Kakita Kyoumi/WC5]

Kakita Shiro
Daimyo

Re: April 19 Announcement: Mechanics and Design

Postby Kakita Shiro » Wed Apr 19, 2017 9:10 am

Not in love with the impermanent characters and could do with fewer tokens, but I love everything else.
Bushi. Artisan. Duelist. Magistrate. Hatamoto.

Corbeau
Nikutai
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Postby Corbeau » Wed Apr 19, 2017 1:35 pm

My sole complaint is the removal of battle movement. I understand why: assignment, presence, and location were all fiddly and confusing rules for new (and even not-so-new) players. Yet it hurts to see that gone and to be stuck with an extremely limited AGoT combat system. It removes a lot of theme and a lot of the potential judo for dealing with an inferior military. The new combat looks an awful lot like smashing faces together until someone falls down from attrition.

Every other mechanical change is great. The fading mechanic (and economy rework) is particularly good, since it skips the swingy-or-boring early game while simultaneously preventing the late game stalemates. I absolutely adore the new region (province card) system, since it comes straight out of netrunner's mind games. I'm pleased with the alterations to honor and dishonor, since there are more ways to manipulate both for ingame benefits (including dueling). I like the card templates and use of art, too.

Kakita Karasu
Gunso
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Postby Kakita Karasu » Wed Apr 19, 2017 5:55 pm

So strongholds.

The abilities seem pretty straight forward and I could see them bringing out new strongholds like they do with runners/corps for net runner.

This made me wonder what the symbols at the bottom mean. I think the white bamboo one is a restriction on holdings and the other might be provenance strength?

What are your ideas?
Emerald Champion WC 2017DuelistPistoleer • Crane Clan • Samurai • Soul of Shiba Mako WC 4
Raised Eyebrow of Derision
Winter Court 5 Iaijutsu Champion

Kakita Shiro
Daimyo

Postby Kakita Shiro » Wed Apr 19, 2017 8:17 pm

The center-bottom number is probably per-turn Fate production. I speculate the white number is for some kind of Netrunner-esque influence to pull in non-Neutral out-of-faction cards. The red number seems to be your starting honor. The Stronghold has "+2 Province" so I suspect that Province strength is based on the Province card.
Bushi. Artisan. Duelist. Magistrate. Hatamoto.

Kakita Karasu
Gunso

Postby Kakita Karasu » Thu Apr 20, 2017 5:22 am

Emerald Champion WC 2017DuelistPistoleer • Crane Clan • Samurai • Soul of Shiba Mako WC 4

Doji Makoto
Taisa

Postby Doji Makoto » Thu Apr 20, 2017 5:27 am

"I am sure this will be a most interesting year."

Kakita Karasu
Gunso

Postby Kakita Karasu » Thu Apr 20, 2017 5:35 am

It is the same shape and color but on closer examination it is two separate symbols.

Doji Makoto
Taisa

Postby Doji Makoto » Thu Apr 20, 2017 5:37 am

I would say it is the same. Just turned upside down.
"I am sure this will be a most interesting year."

Kakita Karasu
Gunso

Postby Kakita Karasu » Thu Apr 20, 2017 5:43 am

Return to “General Discussion”