Cosplay: Tips, Tricks and Ideas

Casual conversations about anything you want!
KakitaKaori
Shireikan

Re: Cosplay: Tips, Tricks and Ideas

Postby KakitaKaori » Tue Aug 01, 2017 5:50 pm

Made this as an extra light wakizashi for a costume out of a silk-covered coat hanger. It weighs maybe 1 1/2 oz...very light. Balsa wood and plastic with a silk cover and a medicine bottle cap for end caps.

Kakita Kaori
Kenshinzen of Golden Petal Village and overly prolific fiction writer
http://craneclan.weebly.com/
[Kakita Kyoumi/WC5]

Kakita_Harun
Taisa
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Postby Kakita_Harun » Sun Aug 20, 2017 7:10 pm

I'm preparing for the game launch and my husband is a Crane, here are some great Crane cotton prints that I saw looking for fabric. Planning on making a yukata and obi

Scribe and Adopted Crane

KakitaKaori
Shireikan

Postby KakitaKaori » Mon Aug 21, 2017 11:28 am

So here is how my full gencon costume came out. Notes to follow.
Kakita Kaori
[Kakita Kyoumi/WC5]

KakitaKaori
Shireikan

Postby KakitaKaori » Mon Aug 21, 2017 11:40 am

Things that worked well:
The hakama looked great.
The token was cool but took a while to create. I really liked it. I will definitely just keep it.
The wakizashi was incredibly light and easy to carry, though I lost it on Saturday, much to my sadness. I will make another that is even better, perhaps. No problems with it...I definitely recommend this method of making a wakizashi for cosplay in the future.
I wore a running belt under my hakama around my hips that could hold a phone and a credit card, that worked well.
It was very cool and comfortable to wear, and I felt properly covered and comfortable.
Hair extensions worked much better than I thought they would, but be careful to use plenty of detangler and put them away right away when you take them off.

Things that needed reassessment/worked less well/worth noting:
Wearing an obi over or under the hakama just was not necessary and won't stay in place. Don't bother.
Despite the official ways of tying the hakama, you should change how you tie your hakama up depending on if you are male or female. It is perfectly possible to use the bathroom without getting all undone, no matter your gender, but it requires proper obi-tying for your needs. These things are important.
Wearing a kimono T-shirt as the under kimono was very cool and helpful, but it did need to be safety-pinned in place to keep it fully covering everything under the hakama.
The hat didn't work so well, at least in terms of convienience, but it looked so gorgeous (with the lacquered-on ferns) that I couldn't resist.
Geta/Zori: very uncomfortable. Bring backup shoes.
Iron on mons: Overall, good, though these were printed on fabric. I had a hard time getting them to stay dark enough.
Haori/Jubon: This was simple but looked wrong all week before and I couldn't figure out why. Then I realized there was no collar backing on the collar to keep the collar ridget. I made a collar lining and sewed it on the inside and it looked much better after that.
Kakita Kaori
[Kakita Kyoumi/WC5]

KakitaKaori
Shireikan

Postby KakitaKaori » Mon Aug 21, 2017 11:40 am

If there is anything You'd like to know how to make, let me know.
Kakita Kaori
[Kakita Kyoumi/WC5]

Kakita_Harun
Taisa
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Postby Kakita_Harun » Sun Nov 05, 2017 6:16 am

Finished my Unicorn jinbaori. There will be a Crane one next.

Scribe and Adopted Crane

Kakita_Harun
Taisa

Postby Kakita_Harun » Wed Mar 28, 2018 4:46 pm

Crane jacket is coming along nicely

Scribe and Adopted Crane

Kakita_Harun
Taisa

Postby Kakita_Harun » Wed Apr 18, 2018 4:38 am

So here’s the Crane one.

Scribe and Adopted Crane

KakitaKaori
Shireikan

Postby KakitaKaori » Wed Apr 25, 2018 7:14 am

Very nice!
Kakita Kaori
[Kakita Kyoumi/WC5]

DojiTenjin
Hohei

Postby DojiTenjin » Mon May 07, 2018 4:22 pm

Just spent the afternoon reading through this slowly, bit by bit, and I'm super excited to finish my next costume. I just picked up a new kimono in Japan I want to use, and I'm hoping it looks better than my profile picture.

That said, what I came to post were things which have worked well for my friends and I over the years. An important part of this for us, was the realization that this is Rokugan, not Japan. The doors this opens are magnificent. For instance, for shugenja, han fu and other chinese style clothes tend to look the part, and you can find them in crane colors online readily available. Also, if you aren't wearing this 100% accurately, it's alright, it's Rokugani, it's all fictional with historical and cultural inspirations. For Scorpion and Unicorn characters, I highly suggest looking into Indian or Mongol influences for inspiration on making the costume unique.
Parts which help are Karate or Judo gi tops. I'm not saying wear them outwardly, but they look and feel similar to the underwear you wear with standard kimono, just with a more sturdy material, making them GREAT for cold weather. On that note, I do want to impress the necessity of looking fabulous as a Crane, it's part of what we do. For that reason alone, I plead to not use martial arts tops as made in the west as an outerwear top as a warning. I will not hassle you, as you are showing how you see Rokugan, but as I pointed out, they REALLY look like the Japanese underwear top (like a sengoku wifebeater), and other people may give you trouble (looking out for you with my teenage mistakes).

Have fun with your hair! Even as a guy, there's a number of fun things you can do with a wig, and as a Crane particularly, having a stylish or interesting haircut is particularly in character. Do your make up too, even if lightly. If you don't want to, don't, if you don't know how, ask someone for help so you can look your best. A little cover up can hide the imperfections we all have in order to perpetuate the pristine Crane Clan air so many Crane are written to have.

Most important thing to have fun with though, is the experience. Get comfortable, enjoy yourself, and don't be afraid to say "This hurts, I'm going to go change now."
-Until the Weak Become Strong, and the Strong Become Just.

Return to “General Discussion”