Spring 2015 Kotei Fiction - Day 2

For discussions on official fictions and fan-fictions alike.
Doji Satevis
Chui
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Re: Spring 2015 Kotei Fiction - Day 2

Postby Doji Satevis » Tue May 12, 2015 3:55 pm

Excellent story. Also, more Ikura please *g*

Doji Makoto
Taisa
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Postby Doji Makoto » Tue May 12, 2015 4:22 pm

"I am sure this will be a most interesting year."

Marketeer
Nikutai

Postby Marketeer » Tue May 12, 2015 5:09 pm

Fred Wan
L5R Assistant Story Lead

MirumotoDaisuke
Shireikan

Postby MirumotoDaisuke » Tue May 12, 2015 5:15 pm

No worries, Fred. I know you're traveling. I just wanted to bring it to someone's attention instead of wondering what happened and making snarky remarks that no one will read, anyway.
Dragon Clan • Artisan • Friend to the Crane • Samurai • Conqueror • Duelist • Kensai

kakita_hoturi
Nikutai

Postby kakita_hoturi » Tue May 12, 2015 6:41 pm

I seem to miss the fiction where Hikuryo lost a duel

MirumotoDaisuke
Shireikan

Postby MirumotoDaisuke » Tue May 12, 2015 6:56 pm

Dragon Clan • Artisan • Friend to the Crane • Samurai • Conqueror • Duelist • Kensai

Kakita Onimaru
Site Admin

Postby Kakita Onimaru » Tue May 12, 2015 10:13 pm

I do not like how this story was written at all. It feels like I am reading the bullet points on what is going on here.

And again, I am left wondering where the conflict in this story is. Yes, there is a literal conflict in the story (2 duelists dueling) and there are stakes (the reputation of the Kakita House), but these are both bare minimum examples of each. I don't have any reason to doubt Shinichi will lose the duel as he seems completely confident the whole time, as if the result is forgone. I cannot empathize with his struggle because there doesn't appear to be one. Also, hard to relate to a cocky character who is talking smack and going out of his way to humiliate people. As for the stakes....what does it really matter? The dueling academy is already the premier iaijutsu school in Rokugan so there is nothing to gain. And if he lost it would be to Niten, the equal-if-not-close-second school. Loss of face for baiting such a duel and losing, sure, but in the grand scheme what changes? Whats at stake? The Dragon certainly haven't lost anything other than a bit of egg of their face.

No stakes. No consequences. Nothing matters.

On the positives, I applaud the continued efforts to catch up to lost story elements while simultaneously addressing new ones. I like how the Kotei results, a fogone conclusion, is being used as a backdrop to get other story elements up to date and in the spotlight. This is also another great example of ST listening to us and making an effort to give us what we want. Today, a duelist was a badass and won glory for the clan, securing the fostering of an imperial heir in the process. Everything I ever wanted from a fictions plot points. or, bullet points in this case.
If you're having Crane problems I feel bad for you son,
I've got 99 problems but a duel ain't one!

Marketeer
Nikutai

Postby Marketeer » Tue May 12, 2015 10:23 pm

Fred Wan
L5R Assistant Story Lead

Kakita Kasukaru
Taisa

Postby Kakita Kasukaru » Tue May 12, 2015 11:11 pm

Agreed that we need to see Dragons being super good at Niten now, otherwise it will be a bit empty. Apart from this, I liked the badassery. A bit less the nasty comments from Shinichi. He could have gone subtler. But then again, subtlety doesn't seem to be his character.
Kakita Kasukaru
RPG mostly / French * Greece

kakita_hoturi
Nikutai

Postby kakita_hoturi » Wed May 13, 2015 1:37 am

thanks for the link... though I thought Hikuryo lost beacause of him having any fault to his technique or style but he lost because of his bad luck.

Going back to topic, I felt that the fiction was... forced, as if tailor made to please the general Crane audience, but it felt empty.

Sure a Crane won against a Dragon... every Crane would love to see that everyday, but try as I might to enjoy this story, I didnt.

There was no danger factor like the time Matabei was cornered by 3 Scorpions in a back alley or the intensity and drama from the duels of Ichigiku...

I guess I've not read any fictions about Crane duelists lately that it's impossible for me to believe that a "recent" Crane duelist will win with such flare

Return to “Fiction”