Thinking about coming back

Casual conversations about anything you want!
Kakita_Jiro
Hohei
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Thinking about coming back

Postby Kakita_Jiro » Wed Sep 09, 2015 11:22 am

Hello everyone. I'm an older player from back in the Gold/ Diamond days (RIP Double Chi), and I've been really out of the game since about 2005. I picked up a deck just to have a look about 4 years ago, but didn't recognize a lot of the rules and saw that the standard Crane deck wasn't what I had hoped for. I'm once again coming back to have a look at the game and was hoping for some info.

I'm curious to see if Crane dueling is a legitimate deck once again? I've heard the Come One at a Time is back (once my favorite card. I loved giving baby Domotai the Celestial sword, then letting her COAAT every enemy in sight), and I've heard that some of the "iaijutsu" cards are back as well. Is a dueling deck viable anymore? I'd love to build one of it is. Please let me know anything else you think may be relevant as well. I hope there's something for me to enjoy again in L5R.

Thank you all so much and I look forward to hearing more.
Kakita Jiro
0/3
6/8/4
Crane Clan Artisan•Shugenja•Water•Unique
Open: Bow Jiro, target an honorable duelist you control and duel an opposing personality. Bow the loser. The winner gains 2 honor. If this is a battle, send both personalities home after.

Kakita Shiro
Daimyo

Re: Thinking about coming back

Postby Kakita Shiro » Wed Sep 09, 2015 11:32 am

Dueling Honor is difficult at the moment. There are a lot of high Chi Personalities and Duelists randomly floating around the other Clans, good cards that also happen meta dueling (Spirited Dispute and Relentless), and decent-to-good +2C Weapons. Also, Come One At A Time is no longer as deadly as it used to be as most Terrains now destroy any pre-existing Terrain in play (such as COAAT). There are no power duels like Iaijutsu Challenge (the closest we get is the very watered down Sanctioned Duel) or Iaijutsu Duel. The best honor deck right now is Phoenix.

Dueling Military is also hard out of Crane because of the low-Force most of our Duelists have. Lion, Spider, and Dragon all do that better.
Bushi. Artisan. Duelist. Magistrate. Hatamoto.

Kakita_Jiro
Hohei
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Postby Kakita_Jiro » Wed Sep 09, 2015 1:53 pm

Well that's sad news. What CAN the Crane do right now? Please don't tell me we're stuck with sneaky Daidoji stuff again. That was a sad era.
Kakita Jiro
0/3
6/8/4
Open: Bow Jiro, target an honorable duelist you control and duel an opposing personality. Bow the loser. The winner gains 2 honor. If this is a battle, send both personalities home after.

Kakita Shiro
Daimyo

Postby Kakita Shiro » Wed Sep 09, 2015 1:56 pm

Kakita_Jiro
Hohei

Postby Kakita_Jiro » Wed Sep 09, 2015 2:10 pm

I prefer to leave dishonor to the Scorpion. My favorite was always Dueling honor rocket out of Kakita Dueling Academy (not a popular stronghold, but I made it work for me with favor control via Kakita Mai.) I did run a limited phase honor rocket based almost entirely off of courtiers, Gempukku, and some cleanup dueling with double chi heavy hitters (Kurohito, Korihime, Noritoshi, Hachi, Kakita). I also played, it was either a stronghold or a sensei, that gave me an extra attack phase that I could send harriers into. It wasn't great.
Kakita Jiro
0/3
6/8/4

Kakita Shiro
Daimyo

Postby Kakita Shiro » Wed Sep 09, 2015 2:16 pm

Action-phase Courtier Honor rocket is a playable deck, if not earth-shatteringly good. It just gets decimated by all the top-tier decks.

is the highest placing Crane Honor deck at World's this year. You can use either Untap.in (web-based game simulator) or Sun and Moon (Unity application for multiple OSs) to try it out without committing to any purchases.

Martino
Taisa

Postby Martino » Wed Sep 09, 2015 4:28 pm

KDA was my favorite card ever. And I've been agitating to get dueling back as a legitimate tournament deck. It isn't right now, but I am cautiously optimistic for Onyx.

Kakita Shiro
Daimyo

Postby Kakita Shiro » Wed Sep 09, 2015 8:14 pm

Martino
Taisa

Postby Martino » Thu Sep 10, 2015 10:22 am

Kakita_Jiro
Hohei

Postby Kakita_Jiro » Thu Sep 10, 2015 7:32 pm

Kakita Jiro
0/3
6/8/4

Return to “General Discussion”